Studies have shown that acts of kindness are linked to increased feelings of wellbeing. Helping others can also lead to better relationships which improves our own self-esteem. Yet it’s understandable that in today’s busy society, we don’t always have time to think about our actions and what they mean to ourselves and others.
Random Acts of Kindness Day, which is celebrated on February 17th, is a day to remind ourselves that we even small actions can make a big difference, and you never know how much positive impact it may have on someone.
At Rumage we always try hard to be kind to others and the environment.
Here are some ideas on what to do this Random Act of Kindness Day:
- Smile at someone. You never know who needs to see a friendly face.
- If someone starts a conversation with you, take the time to listen and chat back. Perhaps they are lonely and you could be the only person they talk to that day.
- Message or call a friend to let them know you are thinking of them, and how much you appreciate them.
- Take a reusable cup if you’re getting a coffee on the go, it will save a cup from landfill which is much better for the environment.
- Check in on an elderly neighbour to see if they need any help with a household job or their shopping.
- Turn off a light that you see has been left on by accident or unnecessarily. This will save money for the person paying the bill, and also be kinder to the planet by reducing excess energy usage.
- Leave your car at home for the day and walk or talk public transport. If more of us did this, that would be a huge reduction in carbon emissions.
- Praise a company or a person for getting something right. It’s easy to complain when things go wrong, but not often seen as important to give positive feedback.
- If you see litter on the street, pick it up and pop it in the bin.
- Be kind to yourself. Some simple ideas could be to have a bubble bath, read a book, watch your favourite film, or go to bed early. You can’t keep giving if you don’t recharge your own batteries too.
Hopefully these are some lovely ideas for Random Acts of Kindness Day, and if you can carry on momentum after the day, even better!